Edited and Compiled by
M. Mustin, Camden, N.J.
Issued by the Board of Chosen Freeholders of Warren County
Abridged by Bob Riddle and Jan Reuther, with every attempt to preserve all information of interest to genealogists.
Senator Theodore B. Dawes
County Superintendent of Schools: Will G. Atwood
Agricultural Extension Agent: Howard Mason
County Physician: G. Wyckoff Cummins
Clerk: Hilton L. Butler
County Engineer: Harry W. Vetter
Photographs partly supplied by Shampanore & Co.
Board of Chosen Freeholders:
Charles G. Smith, Director
Edmund S. King
P. R. Thatcher
Settled before the Revolution, during the formative period of our nation, the County at present has a population of 49,319 full-blooded Americans. Strong, peace-loving, conservative and free from ultra modernistic ideas, they are largely descendants of its sturdy pioneers. A small proportion are industrious newcomers from foreign shores. Compared to the entire State's average density of 537.8 per square mile, the County is not densely settled, having an average of but 136.2 per square mile, according to the 1930 census. And in respect to total population, it ranks sixteenth among the Counties of New Jersey.
The earliest settler is recorded to have come in 1725. The first Federal Census in 1830 gives it a population of 18,634, with 47 slaves.
In 1930, Phillipsburg with its 19,255 persons contained 39% of the County's total population and was by far the leading community of the County in this respect. Next in order was Washington with 4,410 Hackettstown came next with 3,038; Alpha followed with 2,374; and Belvidere with 2,073.
During the year 1929, the average birth rate per 1,000 population was 16.18, and the death rate per 1,000 was 13.9, showing an excess of 2.21 pe 1,000 of births over deaths.
Transportation and Communication
Roads: A network of 861 miles of road; 667 miles of township and borough road, 321 miles in the County system and 62 miles of State Highway.
Railroads: Seven railroad systems traverse the County, and, operating 148.7 miles of track, they connect the County's 40 passenger and freight stations with every part of the nation. The seven systems are the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western; the Pennsylvania; Central of New Jersey; Lehigh Valley; Lehigh and Hudson River; Lehigh and New England; and the New York, Susquehanna and Western - all of which offer schedules adequate for existing needs.
Buses and Motor Freight: A number of bus and motor freight lines operating over the concrete highways, serve local transportation and freight requirements, and many through lines cross the County enroute to New York from points West and South.
Landing Field and Electric Lines: A new flying and landing field at Washington and a United States emergency landing field with beacon light a few miles east of Phillipsburg are but the beginning of the County's development for air transportation. The Phillipsburg Transit Co. serves the area in and about Phillipsburg with its 7.06 miles of electric lines.
Mail, Telephone and Telegraph: Thirty-one post offices with their respective rural free delivery routes, adequately take care of mail service. The West Jersey Toll phone line was brought to the County through the initiative of Dr. G. W. Cummins, in 1896. At present, the telephone is not only performing its own indispensable service everywhere, but also is the medium for telegraphic and radio communication.
Warren County offers unusual advantages to industry. Nearness to major markets ... transportation facilities ... a copious and excellent supply of water ... interested workers living in a healthy picturesque region ... and a people cognizant of the great asset which the County's industries are. Industrial management finds here in the County the advantage of operating among a people who understand the many and trying problems of management ... a people who understand that workers cannot prosper unless industry is prosperous ... that a $15 million payroll each year is not possible unless the great quantities of manufactured products are sold ... and that the interest and welfare of workers and management are one and the same.
The people further realize that the interest of industrial management, in the health and happiness of its workers, is not one of philanthropy, but rather a realization by management that prosperity can only come to the workers, to the County at large and to itself through a happy union of effort between worker and management, and through support of the people generally.
Principal Products and Industries: The County's industries are diversified and range in size from small establishments supplying local territory, to vast organizations whose agents reach into every corner of the world. They make compressed air machinery, turbines, pumps, blowers and oil engines; Portland cement; cast iron gas and water pipe, fittings and special castings; rope, jute papers; broad silks, thrown silks and silk stockings; chemicals and acids; porcelain coated and porcelain wares; saw mill machinery; canisters; brick tile; knives; barrels; marble and other products. The five railroad lines, which converge at Phillipsburg, and the town's location on the Delaware and main arteries of travel, have made it the County's principal industrial center. Here most of the County's industries are located.
Warren County fully appreciates the great wealth and many advantages which of its 85 industries being to it, and here following are presented intimate sketches of the leading establishments among them.
Ingersoll-Rand Company: Manufacturing compressed air and hydraulic machinery famous the world over, Ingersoll-Rand is by far the largest single industry in the County. Representing the consolidation of four separate industries, the present Ingersoll-Rand Company derives its name from the pioneers, Simon Ingersoll, who invented his first drill in 1870 and the Rand Brothers, who developed their drill for underground use about the same time. Best known for its mining and quarrying machinery, the company makes hundreds of types of drilling and excavating machines. At its five large manufacturing plants in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York and Colorado are made stationary and portable compressors, oil engines, oil-electric locomotives, rock drills, pneumatic tools, hoists, pumps, condensers, turbines, and blowers.
Standard Silk Co., Phillipsburg plant: Two and three story buildings, part with saw-tooth sky-lights, on twelve-acre, founded in 1881 by A.D. Juilliard & Co. This mill has run continuously since its opening, with an average employment exceeding 800 persons.
Warren Foundry and Pipe Corporation: This venerable institution - where "capital and labor unite in a common brotherhood of effort" - commemorates this year its 75th anniversary of "active, successful and honorable business." With modern blast furnace, iron mines and limestone quarries in other parts of New Jersey; and with a modern centrifugal pipe casting plant at Everett, Mass., the company today is actually equipped to make pipe and castings from "iron-ore in ground, to pipe in ground." The present official and managing group is as follows: Leonard Peckitt, President, of New York; J.H. Morrison, Vice-President, in charge of sales; S. B. Brown, Vice-President, in charge of operations; L.R. Dohm, Secretary and Treasurer; A.L. Reiley, Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer; E.L. Hopler, Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer.
Portland Cement Industry: Included within the bounds of Warren County are the only two Portland Cement industries in the State of New Jersey -- the Vulcanite Portland Cement Company and the Edison Portland Cement Company. Locating here because of the outcropping of fine quality blue or cement rock, the companies have contributed greatly not only to the prosperity of the County but also to that of the State by progressively developing and expanding that industry.
Vulcanite Portland Cement Company: Pioneering in the development of the American Portland Cement industry and its expansion in the State of New Jersey, Vulcanite is another of the County's major industrial establishments in which is exemplified the success of harmonious cooperation between employees and management. From the very founding of the company at Alpha in 1894 until the present day, workers and officials have labored in unison toward the same ends -- that is, production of highest quality Portland Cement and efficient operation. The present official managing group, who are largely descendants of the founders and who have upheld the high ideals of the company, are: W.D. Lober, President; C.S. Newhall, Vice-President; George P. Todd, Secretary and Treasurer; W.R. Dunn, Manufacturing Director. These men also have constantly displayed an active interest and have participated in all matters directed toward the general welfare of the people of Warren County.
Edison Portland Cement Company: Conceived and founded by Thomas A. Edison, at New Village in 1899, this company began operations in 1901 and by 1903 was producing 3000 barrels of Portland Cement daily. Under the inspiring leadership of its founder and his associates, the company grew and the entire cement industry was benefited. Through Mr. Edison's inventive genius and mechanical ingenuity new machines were invented and old ones were improved; manufacturing methods were bettered and operating efficiency advanced to a higher level. The company's official and managing group is Thomas A. Edison, Chairman of the Board; Charles Edison, President; Harry F. Miller, Treasurer; Wilmot D. Cloos, Vice-President and General Manager; Albert C. Bruff, Vice-President, Boston; Raymond A. Wetzler, Vice-President, New York; and W.J. Dittman, General Superintendent.
Riegel Paper Corporation: Formerly the Warren Manufacturing Co., is closely associated with the history of Warren County. This concern, which is one of the world's largest manufacturers of Jute paper, Rope paper and Glassine paper, was started in a modest way by John L. Riegel at Finesville, Warren County, in 1862. The Riegel family for several generations has always been greatly interested in the development of the County and the various industries that have had their origin there. The company, now under the able direction of Benjamin D. Riegel, Chairman of the Board, and John L. Riegel, Executive Vice-President and General Manager, operates four paper mills all in the vicinity of Riegelsville.
Sunbury Converting Works, Belvidere, N.J.: Completed in 1929, the company is engaged in the dyeing and finishing of silk piece goods for the manufacturing trade. Operations began in the early part of 1930, and at the present time the plant employs approximately 350 people. Mr. Julius Plucker, Jr. is resident manager. Other officials of the company are Harry S. Knight, President, and Frederick H. Knight, Treasurer.
Pohatcong Hosiery Mills, Washington: About 750 are employed in the manufacture of vary high grade Ladies' Full-Fashioned Hosiery. It is one of our nation's leading manufacturers in this line, and its officers are: Oscar E. Merkel, President and Treasurer; Albert Quetzsch, Vice-President; Louise M. Merkel, Secretary, and Mae C. Rooker, Assistant Treasurer.
C.F. Church Manufacturing Co., Washington, B.O.T. Division: Manufacturer of toilet seats, and where 140 workers find employment. The company is directed by Otto Kolsted, its founder, and H.E. Petty is plant manager. Three-story frame ell-shaped building.
Other Large Industries in the County aside from those pictured
American Saw Mill Machinery Company, Hackettstown
Hackettstown Silk Hosiery Co., Hackettstown
The Lackawanna Leather Company, Hackettstown
Alan Wood Steel Co., Oxford
The Peoples Water Co., Phillipsburg
L.C. Smith Bobbin Works, Phillipsburg
Tirrell Bros. Silk Corp., Phillipsburg
The Wallace Silk Company, Inc., Phillipsburg
Washington Porcelain Co., Washington